The school changes from Hitchin Grammar School to Hitchin Boys’ School, a comprehensive school.
The new Performing Arts Block was opened, containing an auditorium and classrooms for the performing arts.
In 1899 a new house for the headteacher was built, with a sundial in the lawn in front of the building.
The new Sixth form centre opens and provides accommodation for years 12 and 13.
The Boys’ school re-opens at Woodlands in Bancroft, with Joseph Edward Little as Headmaster.